Differential Geometry I
(19202601)Regular participation: at least 85% of participation in the tutorials is needed. Active participation: at least 60% of all possible points that can be earned in the homework assignements are needed.
|Instructor||Prof. Dr. Konrad Polthier, Yannic Wendt|
|Start||Oct 19, 2021 | 12:15 PM|
|end||Feb 17, 2022 | 02:00 PM|
*Lecture: Tuesday, 12:00 - 14:00, via WebEx, Thursday, 12:00 - 14:00, via WebEx
*Tutorials: Friday, 08:00 - 10:00, via WebEx
The lectures and the tutorials will be held in English on request.
Linear Algebra I & II
Differential geometry studies local and global properties of curved spaces.
Topics of the lecture will be:
- Curves and surfaces in Euclidean space
- Metrics and (Riemannian) manifolds
- Surface tension and notions of curvature
- Vector fields, tensors, covariant derivative
- Geodesic curves, exponential map
- Gauß-Bonnet theorem, curvature and topology
- Connection to discrete differential geometry
Prerequisits: Analysis I, II and Linear Algebra I, II