All talks will be transmitted virtually to registered participants using zoom.
Please note that there has been a change in rooms. The new room is in the building directly next to the previous one.
In Berlin, PhDs in Logic XII will take place on the campus of Free University Berlin (FUB) in Dahlem, in room 005 of Takustraße 9, the informatics building. Takustraße 9 is accessible via public transport from several directions:
- U-Bahn U3 in the direction of 'Krumme Lanke', getting off at the stop 'Dahlem Dorf'.
- S-Bahn S1 in the direction of 'Wannsee' or U-Bahn U9 in the direction of 'Rathaus Steglitz', getting off at the stop 'Rathaus Steglitz', then Bus X83 in direction of 'U Dahlem-Dorf' or 'Königin-Luise-Str./Clayallee' until the stop 'Arnimalle'.
Walking directions from these stops are depicted below. We will be in the building labelled 'FU Informatik'
Room 005 is located on the ground floor of the building.
There are several options for accommodation close to the conference location:
- Seminaris Campus Hotel is immediately on the campus of the Free University and about 5 minutes walking distance from the conference location. They are also one of the pricier options, however.
- Ravenna Hotel is another hotel that the university often suggests to their guests, as it is still very close to the university and has attractive prices. It is a 10 minute bus ride from the conference location, next to the S- and U-Bahn station 'Rathaus Steglitz'.
- If you are very price-sensitive, Hostels are also an option of course. You can find them via Booking or Hostelworld. We would suggest booking something close to stops of U-Bahn lines 3 or 9, or S-Bahn line 1, to enable you to get to the venue quickly.
- As always Airbnb is a great option for cheap apartments.
Be aware that Berlin covers quite a big area for its number of inhabitants - so travel times can be long. We therefore suggest you to take care when booking your accommodation to make sure you don't spend too much time in public transport. If you want to stay somewhere a bit more 'downtown' and still get to Dahlem fast it is a good idea to look for something close to U-Bahn line 3 around the stops 'Kottbusser Tor' - 'Warschauer Straße'.
- By train: The most convenient stations for getting to Dahlem are central station or Südkreuz
From central station, take S-Bahn lines 3, 5, 7, 75 or 9 heading east for one stop until 'Friedrichstraße' where you can change to S-Bahn line 1 and continue as described above.
From Südkreuz take S-Bahn line 41 (Ringbahn) for one stop until 'Schöneberg', where you can change to S-Bahn line 1 and continue as described above.
- By plane: In light of the current climate crisis we suggest you to consider setting a good example as a scientist by joining the #unter1000 commitment from Scientists for Future instead of booking a flight.
If you do decide to fly, you will arrive at BER airport located in the south-east of the city.
To get from BER to FU take the S-Bahn line 45 until 'Schöneberg', change into S-Bahn line 1 and continue as described above.
- By bus: Busses stop at the bus terminal (Zentraler Omnibusbahnhof ZOB), or at other locations in the city. To get from ZOB to the Campus of the Free University you can take the S-Bahn 42 (Ringbahn) or 45 until Heidelberger Platz and change into U3.
The public transport operator in Berlin is called BVG (Berliner Verkehrsbetriebe), despised for its unreliability but admired for its sense of humor.
Some helpful apps:
- Öffi Fahrplanauskunft: Computes the connection and gives you a map of all the stops.
Better than the official BVG app. Only for Android.
- VBB Bus&Bahn: Computes the connections. Also available for iOS. (Google Play) (Apple)
- BVG Tickets: Lets you buy tickets via your phone. In German.
Alternatively you can of course also get aroung using a bicycle. The routes can still be long, but there are no meaningful hills to speak of, so this can be a nice way to discover the city when the weather is nice. The known apps are all available, or your Hotel / Hostel might do bike rentals.