Differential Geometry I
Differential geometry studies local and global properties of curved spaces.
Topics of the lecture will be:
* curves and surfaces in Euclidean space,
* metrics and (Riemannian) manifolds,
* surface tension and notions of curvature,
* vector fields, tensors and covariant derivative,
* geodesic curves and the exponential map,
* Gauß-Bonnet theorem and topology,
* discrete differential geometry.
(19202601)participation in the tutorials: at least 85 % are required amount of points in the homeworks: at least 60 % are required
|Instructor||Prof. Dr. Konrad Polthier|
|Start||Oct 16, 2017 | 12:00 PM|
|end||Feb 16, 2018 | 06:00 PM|
* Lecture: Monday, 12 -14, SR 031/A7 (starting Oct., 16th, 2017)
Wednesday, 12-14, SR 007/008/A6
* Tutorials (starting Oct., 19th, 2017):
The inspection for the second exam will take place June, 4th, 2018, in 108/109/A6 from 9 to 10 am. If you are unable to come, until May, 2nd, 2018, you can send an email to Henriette.Lipschuetz@fu-berlin.de to make an appointment.
Linear Algebra I & II
- W. Kühnel: Differentialgeometrie: Kurven - Flächen - Mannigfaltigkeiten, Springer, 2012 (english edition: Differential Geometry: Curves - Surfaces - Manifolds, Springer)
- M. P. do Carmo, Differential Geometry of Curves and Surfaces, Prentice Hall
- J.-H. Eschenburg, J. Jost: Differentialgeometrie und Minimalflächen, Springer, 2014
- Ch. Bär: Elementare Differentialgeometrie, de Gruyter, 2001 (english edition: Elementary Differential Geometry, de Gruyter)
- M. Spivac: A Comprehensive Introduction To Differential Geometry, Publish or Perish, 1999