The regular start for the master program is the winter term each year.
However, in principle applications for the summer term are also possible. In this case, one would apply for a higher (2nd) semester and a spot must be available, which is usually not the case. Further, you need to prove that you fulfill the requirements for the second semester, that is, you successfully finished the same or equivalent courses as the other students in the program.
There are no tuition fees. However, the university charges about 300 EUR each semester (fees and contribution) which includes a ticket for Berlin's public transport system.
More information can be found here: https://www.fu-berlin.de/en/studium/studienorganisation/immatrikulation/rueckmeldung/gebuehren/index.html
It is hard to accept a rejection, which is why we are committed to ensure that all decisions concerning admissions are clear and consistent. But we understand that there may be reasons why you wish to challenge a decision.
Please note that the admissions committee's decisions are final and there is no appeal possible in university matters according to § 26 para. 2 of the General Competence Act (Allgemeines Zuständigkeitsgesetz, AZG).
Furthermore we accept the following certificates:
- Bachelor or master degree that was fully taught in English.
- PTE Academic (level B2)
We have usually many more applications than places in this program.
This means, admission is based on a ranking system.
Each applicant is assigned a score (max. 100 points) based on the following three categories:
- The final mark of your bachelors degree (up to 80 points).
- Relevant qualification outside your studies (up to 10 points).
- Relevant professional experience (up to 10 points).
Please note that you may not score high enough if the final mark of your bachelors degree is not very good.
We accept students for the master program once per year for the winter term which starts in October.
Applications for our Master's programme Data Science are accepted from 15th of April until 31st of May each year.
Notification of AcceptanceThe admission office of Freie University Berlin usually sends out this information after beginning of July. Due to a large number of applicants this will take until August. Please refrain from contacting the Master's programme about your admission status during notification times. We will not be able to give an answer. We ask for your understanding.
Start of Teaching
The teaching activities start middle of October.
For more details on our academic calendar see https://www.fu-berlin.de/en/studium/studienorganisation/termine/index.html
Find more information in our FAQ.
We don't accept certificates of online courses from Udemy.
A certificate must fulfill the following:
- A verification URL is included to check authenticity.
- The course name is stated.
- The course content is stated or can be found through the verification URL.
- The workload (in hours) of the course is stated or can be found through the verification URL.
- The certificate is signed by the instructor.
- A statement by the provider is included that the identity of the learner who completed the course is confirmed.