The regular start for the master program is the winter term each year.
However, in principle applications for the summer term are also possible. In this case, one would apply for a higher (2nd) semester and a spot must be available, which is usually not the case. Further, you need to prove that you fulfill the requirements for the second semester, that is, you successfully finished the same or equivalent courses as the other students in the program.
There are no tuition fees. However, the university charges about 300 EUR each semester (fees and contribution) which includes a ticket for Berlin's public transport system.
More information can be found here: https://www.fu-berlin.de/en/studium/studienorganisation/immatrikulation/rueckmeldung/gebuehren/index.html
It’s hard to accept a rejection, which is why we are committed to ensure that all decisions concerning admissions are clear and consistent. But we understand that there may be reasons why you wish to challenge a decision.
Please note that the admissions committee's decisions are final and there is no appeal possible in university matters according to § 26 para. 2 of the General Competence Act (Allgemeines Zuständigkeitsgesetz, AZG).
We accept the following certificates:
- German Abitur in English (Abiturprüfung in the English language with at least 4 points) within a "fachgebundenes Abitur" or the "Allgemeine Hochschulreife".
- English in school for at least 8 years until the Abitur with at least 4 points in the Abiturzeugnis. For a German Abitur, it is sufficient to send proof about the Sekundarstufe 2.
- Bachelor or master degree that was fully taught in English.
- TOEFL iBT (internet-based) with a score of at least 71.
- TOEFL ITP with a score of a least 543.
- IELTS (International English Language Testing System) with a Band Score of at least 6.0.
- Cambridge FCE Grade B
- Unicert II
- PTE Academic (level B2)
We have usually many more applications than places in this program.
This means, admission is based on a ranking system.
Each applicant is assigned a score (max. 100 points) based on the following three categories:
- The final mark of your bachelors degree (up to 80 points).
- Relevant qualification outside your studies (up to 10 points).
- Relevant professional experience (up to 10 points).
Please note that you may not score high enough if the final mark of your bachelors degree is not very
Important Changes for application for the winter-term 2020Due to the current situation, the application period for consecutive Masters programs at Freie Universität will be postponed. It is expected to start on May, 04 2020. Please find more information here.
We accept students for the master program once per year for the winter term which starts in October.
Applications for our Master's programme Data Science are accepted from 15th of April until 31st of May each year.
Notification of Acceptance
You will be notified beginning of July.
Start of Teaching
The teaching activities start middle of October.
For more details on our academic calendar see https://www.fu-berlin.de/en/studium/studienorganisation/termine/index.html
Find more information in our FAQ.
The admission office of Freie University Berlin usually sends out this information at the beginning of July.
More information can be found here: https://www.fu-berlin.de/en/studium/bewerbung/master/konsekutive-masterstudiengaenge/bewerbungsfrist/index.html
A certificate must fulfill the following:
- A verification URL is included to check authenticity.
- The course name is stated.
- The course content is stated or can be found through the verification URL.
- The workload (in hours) of the course is stated or can be found through the verification URL.
- The certificate is signed by the instructor.
- A statement by the provider is included that the identity of the learner who completed the course is confirmed.