Industry Cooperation 2004-2010: mental images
AG Mathematical Geometry Processing
FB Mathematik und Informatik
- mental images GmbH, Berlin
- DFG Research Center Matheon "Mathematics for key technologies"
- Matheon Project F4: Geometric Shape Optimization
mental images GmbH, Berlin
Apr 01, 2004 — Jan 17, 2005
Numerical simulations and the rendering of complex virtual scenes is often limited by the huge size of the involved geometry meshes. This project researches the geometric and topological properties of mesh representations to solve the following challenges:
- An efficient and redundant-free representation of 3D geometry meshes.
- Fast online transfer of 3D data sets.
- Toolbox for rapid compression and decompression.
We develop algorithms and implementations for mesh compression, including surface attributes like textures and normals.