Embedded Internet and the Internet of Things
In this course we will discuss topics about the emerging field of "Embedded Internet", "Internet of Things (IoT)", and "Future Internet".
Some topics of the course will be:
- From Internet to the Internet of Things
- Beyond Internet of Things
- Platforms (Hardware, Software)
- Wireless multi-hop networks (WSN, WMN, MANET)
- Topology control
- Security and privacy
08.02.13: The slides of Chapter 9 are online.
|Dozent/in||Prof. Dr. Mesut Günes|
|Institution||Institute of Computer Science|
Freie Universität Berlin
|Raum||Königin-Luise-Straße 24-26 HS 06 |
Telematics, Mobile Communications, or similar basics about data communication
Handouts / Slides
Handout, Papers, Links, Comments, and Discussion Subjects
- Surf the web for information about the Internet of Things.
- Discuss the various concepts of future communication paradigms and their relationship.
- Discuss the "enabling technologies" and whether technology is enough to foster the development of the Internet of Things.
- Discuss the potential social impact of the Internet of Things.
||Platforms and Technology
- Discuss the archictecture of a device. Which parts could be combined in a component?
- Discuss the energy requirements of a device for long-term applications, i.e., for a month, a year, five years, 10 years.
- Discuss the enabling technologies for a "battery-less" device. Which concepts can be combined?
- Discuss the requirements on operating systems. Do we need really an operating system for these class of devices?
- Review the basics of dB
- Discuss the three principles of radio propagation methods
- Compare the unit disc graph model and the statistical model in respect to the MAC layer
||MAC Protocols (updated)
- Review the standard MAC protocols for wireless networks and discuss their pro and contra
- Discuss the problem of CSMA/CA for low power wireless networks
- Review useful performance metrics for MAC protocols for low power wireless networks
- Discuss and compare S-MAC and B-MAC with respect to useful performance metrics
- Which objectives has the network layer?
- Review the link metrics and discuss what other metrics could be used?
- How do you interprete a link metric as a routing metric?
- Review the different routing classes and discuss suitable applications for each class.
- Review the basics of IPv6, Neihbor Discovery, and Stateless Address Autoconfiguration
- What are the basic operations of 6LoWPAN?
- Discuss the co-operation of 6LoWPAN and RPL
- Review the objectives of the transport layer
- Discuss the impact of reliability the requirement on unicast, multicast, and broadcast wireless communication
- What is the main difference between end-to-end and hop-to-hop approaches
- What are the objectives of the application layer in respect to the applications in the Internet of Things?
- Review the whole protocol stack for the classical Internet and the Internet of Things
- What are the goals of CoAP?
- How are applications build on top of CoAP?
- Review the "development" of applications with "queries"
||Testbeds and Experimentation
- Why are testbed based studies in the area of WSN and IoT required?
- Review the different environments for studying wireless networks
- Review the characteristics of testbeds for wireless multi-hop networks
- Review the scientific approach for experimental studies. Which steps are mandatory?