The module Computer Architecture covers the basic concepts and architectures of computer systems. This includes among others: Harvard/v. Neumann architecture, microarchitecture, RISC/CISC, microprogramming, assembler, pipelining, superscalar pipelines, VLIW, cache, cache coherence, memory hierarchy, bus systems, multiprocessor systems, branch prediction, benchmarking, vector pipelines, parallelization, clusters.
|Dozent/in||Prof. Dr. Katinka Wolter|
|Institution||Institute of Computer Science|
Freie Universität Berlin
|Raum||Takustraße 9 HS 008|
Office Hours: Mo 12-14
Time: Friday, 10-12
1st year BSc or Diploma students
Basic text books for this course
- A. S. Tanenbaum, J. Goodman: Structured Computer Organization, 4. edition, Prentice Hall, 1999 / Computerarchitektur, 4. Auflage, Pearson Studium, 2001
- D. A. Patterson, J L. Hennesy: Computer Organization and Design, 3. edition, Morgan Kaufmann, 2005 / Rechnerorganisation und –entwurf, 3. Auflage, Elsevier, 2005
Advanced text books for this course
- D. E. Comer: Essentials of Computer Architecture, Pearson, 2005
- J. L. Hennessy, D. A. Patterson: Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach. 3. ed., Morgan Kaufmann, 2002
- W. Oberschelp, G. Vossen: Rechneraufbau und Rechnerstrukturen, 8. Auflage Oldenbourg-Verlag München, 2000
- J. P. Hayes: Computer Architecture and Organization, McGraw Hill, 3. ed., 1998
- W. Stallings: Computer Organization and Architecture, 5. ed., Prentice Hall, 2001
No, you don't have to. As Bachelor these two pillars are already recorded in Campus Managment. As Diplomate be sure to be able to prove that you already achived these pillars. It still would be a good idea to participate, though. Without constant exercise you have no idea what our focus is and it's probalbly way more difficult to succeed in the examination, too.
ExercisesExercises are to be turned in into your tutors box in front of room 137 til 10:15o'clock. Results will be published by July 23, 2010.
Klausureinsicht is on 11.8.2010, 2-4pm, room T9 149.
Reexamination is on 28.9.2010, 10-12am, room T9 Hörsaal, HS 008.
Klausureinsicht for re-exam is on 19.11.2010, 12-1pm, room T9 149.
Criteria for successful participation
Active participation in the tutorials is essential!
- Minimum n-2 times present
Hand-in your assignments on time
- Teamwork is required, 2-3 students per team
- At least 50% of the max. number of points from the assignments required
Successful submission of at least n-1 assignments
- Successful = at least 50% of the max. number of points
Each student with a correct answer must be able to present the assignment during the tutorials
- At least 3x presentation during the tutorials
At least 50% of the max. number of points required in the exam
- Only the exam counts for grading!