Student Assistant (f/d/m) 41h/month - Focus: Human-Centered Explainable AI
We are looking for a student assistant (f/d/m) (41h/month). The position is limited until 30.09.2025.Identifier: HCC23-SHK-ENKIS
Application deadline: 26.02.2024
The Human-Centered Computing Research Group (HCC) at the Institute of Computer Science at Freie Universität Berlin is an interdisciplinary team that engages in research and teaching in the areas of collaborative computing and human-computer interaction (HCI) under the direction of Prof. Dr. Claudia Müller-Birn
Technology should complement and support humans in their decision-making, not replace them. Based on this premise, we explore technologies we understand as sociotechnical systems embedded in specific contexts of use. We, therefore, primarily investigate the interrelationships and entanglements of data, algorithms, people, social context, and environment. Our goal is to contribute to the responsible design and development of value-driven, socially-oriented, and sustainable technology.
Our current focus is on machine learning technologies that we contextualize regarding privacy, reflection, and interpretability. Our theory-driven research includes both an empirical and an engineering dimension. Our methodological approaches are based on human-centered, participatory design.
Part of the research group is the HCC Data Lab, where we open our research methods to other scholars and civil society through interdisciplinary, participatory workshops.
The HCC research group is committed to open source software, open science and free access to knowledge.
- We offer an open, interdisciplinary, and dynamic working environment where all people with different backgrounds and experiences are welcome.
- We are committed to open-source software, open science, and free access to knowledge.
- We conduct regular team exchanges and promotion of your individual qualities and skills.
Field of Activity
Are you a student in computer science or a related field and interested in the question of how responsibly explainable artificial intelligence can be developed?
As a student employee in the Human-Centered Computing research group, you have the opportunity to do just that by supporting us in our research in the field of Human-Centered Explainable AI. Current research in this area aims, among other things, to provide users of AI technologies with explanations of the data and models used so that decisions and predictions can be understood. Together with us, you will deal with the question of how these systems can be constructed on the basis of human needs and adapted to the individual context so that they can be interpreted. You will deal with explanations of these systems as well as with the evaluation of these explanations.
You will primarily support the implementation of the ENKIS research project and work closely with the team of the HCC research group. In this research project, we are working on the establishment of sustainable AI-related study programs for responsible artificial intelligence. You will support us in teaching students a human-centered approach during the integration of AI in products and systems.
- Support in the development of online learning modules for human-centered data science
- Support with research tasks (e.g. research and documentation)
- Support in the creation of course materials in the field of data science
- Support in the evaluation of studies
Your skills (preferred)
- Studying computer science or a related field (business informatics, media informatics, data science, human factors / human-machine interaction, bioinformatics, sociology, psychology)
- Experience with Jupyter Notebook, Python or R
- Experience with Gitlab or Github
- Initial knowledge in the field of data science or statistics
- Good written and spoken German and English language skills (both B2)
- Independent and reliable way of working and a strong willingness to learn
- Enrolled student
For further information, please contact Ulrike Schäfer (email@example.com/ +49 30 838 63366).
Please send your application electronically by e-mail stating the identifier to Prof. Dr. Claudia Müller-Birn (including cover letter, curriculum vitae, references, and GitHub profile if applicable) in PDF format (preferably as one document): firstname.lastname@example.org
Please apply electronically by e-mail. The processing of a postal application cannot be guaranteed.
Freie Universität Berlin
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
Institute for Computer Science
Human-Centered Computing Research Group
Prof. Dr. Claudia Müller-Birn
By submitting an online application, you, as an applicant, consent to your data being electronically processed and stored.
We want to point out that Freie Universität Berlin cannot guarantee the security of transmitted personal data if your application is sent electronically without protection.
- Disabled persons will be given preference in the case of equal qualifications.
- Freie Universität Berlin expressly encourages women to apply.
- Applications from people with a migration background are explicitly welcome.
- Unfortunately, Freie Universität Berlin cannot cover the costs of interviews.
- Application documents will not be returned. Please submit copies of your documents only.