Student Assistant (f/d/m) 41h/month
We are looking for a student assistant (41h/month). The position is limited until December 31, 2023.Identifier: HCC2023-SHKFM02
Application deadline: Oct 23, 2023 (extended)
The Human-Centered Computing Research Group (HCC) at the Institute of Computer Science at Freie Universität Berlin is an interdisciplinary team that engages in research and teaching in the areas of collaborative computing and human-computer interaction (HCI) under the direction of Prof. Dr. Claudia Müller-Birn
Technology should complement and support humans in their decision-making, not replace them. Based on this premise, we explore technologies we understand as sociotechnical systems embedded in specific contexts of use. We, therefore, primarily investigate the interrelationships and entanglements of data, algorithms, people, social context, and environment. Our goal is to contribute to the responsible design and development of value-driven, socially-oriented, and sustainable technology.
Our current focus is on machine learning technologies that we contextualize regarding privacy, reflection, and interpretability. Our theory-driven research includes both an empirical and an engineering dimension. Our methodological approaches are based on human-centered, participatory design.
Part of the research group is the HCC Data Lab, where we open our research methods to other scholars and civil society through interdisciplinary, participatory workshops.
The HCC research group is committed to open source software, open science and free access to knowledge.
- We offer an open, interdisciplinary, and dynamic working environment where all people with different backgrounds and experiences are welcome.
- We are committed to open-source software, open science, and free access to knowledge.
- We conduct regular team exchanges and promotion of your individual qualities and skills.
Field of Activity
We seek a dedicated and reliable Student Assistant to complement our team and support us in organizational and scientific tasks. In fulfilling your tasks, you will work closely with the research group leader and the research assistants, who will guide and support you in carrying out your tasks.
- Literature research, acquisition, and management (e.g., input of bibliographic information, transcription of excerpts)
- Support in the completion of presentations and publications (e.g., proofreading scientific texts, obtaining illustration rights, incorporating references)
- Assist in conducting and analyzing empirical studies (e.g., proofread interview guides, transfer and prepare transcripts in transcription software)
Your skills (preferred)
- Knowledge of the common office programs
- Good written and spoken German and English language skills (B2 level)
- Accuracy, sense of responsibility, enjoy teamwork
- Experience in researching and managing the literature
For further information, please contact Prof. Dr. Claudia Müller-Birn (firstname.lastname@example.org / +49 30 838 75256).
Official job announcement (in German)
Please send your application electronically by e-mail stating the identifier to Prof. Dr. Claudia Müller-Birn (including cover letter, curriculum vitae, references, and GitHub profile if applicable) in PDF format (preferably as one document): email@example.com
Please apply electronically by e-mail. The processing of a postal application cannot be guaranteed.
Freie Universität Berlin
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
Institute for Computer Science
Human-Centered Computing Research Group
Prof. Dr. Claudia Müller-Birn
By submitting an online application, you, as an applicant, consent to your data being electronically processed and stored.
We want to point out that Freie Universität Berlin cannot guarantee the security of transmitted personal data if your application is sent electronically without protection.
- Disabled persons will be given preference in the case of equal qualifications.
- Freie Universität Berlin expressly encourages women to apply.
- Applications from people with a migration background are explicitly welcome.
- Unfortunately, Freie Universität Berlin cannot cover the costs of interviews.
- Application documents will not be returned. Please submit copies of your documents only.