Student Assistant (f/d/m) 41h/month - XAI Scientific Research / Teaching Support
We are looking for a new student assistant at the HCC research group. The contract is limited until November 30, 2025.Identifier: HCC2023-SHK-24
Application deadline: March 28, 2023 (extended)
The Human-Centered Computing Research Group (HCC) represents an interdisciplinary team in the field of collaborative computing and human-machine interaction. The focus is to advance research and design of socially responsible technologies by analyzing the intertwining of data, algorithms, and social context to enable sustainable human-machine collaboration. The current focus is on machine learning technologies related to issues of privacy, reflection, and explanation through interactive and conversational user interfaces. We understand these technologies as socio-technical systems that are situated in specific contexts of use. This is also the basis for our methodological approach to system design, which is based on critical practice.
Field of Activity
Are you a student in computer science or a related field and are interested in the question of how to responsibly develop Explainable Artificial Intelligence?
As a student assistant in the Human-Centered Computing research group, you have the opportunity to do just that by supporting us in our research in the area of Human-Centered Explainable AI. Current research in this area aims, among other things, to provide users of AI technologies with explanations related to data and models used, so that decisions and predictions can be understood. Together with us, you will address the question of how these systems can be constructed based on human needs and adapted to the individual context so that they are interpretable. You will be involved with both explanations of these systems and the evaluation of these explanations.
You primarily support the implementation of the research project ENKIS and work closely with the team of the HCC research group. In this research project, we are concerned with establishing sustainable AI-related study programs for responsible Artificial Intelligence. You will support us in teaching students a human-centered approach during the integration of AI in products and systems.
- We are committed to open source software, open science, and free access to knowledge
- We offer an open, interdisciplinary, and dynamic working environment where all people with different backgrounds and experiences are welcome
- Regular team exchange and promotion of your individual qualities and skills
- Supporting research tasks (e.g. information retrieval and documentation)
- Supporting the interpretable communication of AI decisions
- Supporting the creation of course materials in the field of data science
- Supporting the evaluation of studies
- Studies in computer science or a related field (business informatics, media informatics, data science, human factors / human-machine interaction, bioinformatics, sociology, psychology)
- Experience with Python or R
- Basic knowledge in the field of data science or statistics
- Good written and spoken German and English language skills (both B2)
- Independent and reliable way of working as well as a distinct willingness to learn
Official job announcement (in German)
Please send your application (letter of motivation, CV, references, (if available) GitHub profile) addressed to Prof. Dr. Claudia Müller-Birn in PDF format (preferably as one document) under the identification HCC2023-SHK-24 via email to email@example.com.
Processing of a postal application cannot be guaranteed.
By submitting an electronic application you are agreeing to all files being edited and stored. We give explicit notice that by not using encryption for sending in your application electronically, the Freie Universität Berlin cannot guarantee or be accountable for the security of any private information.
Freie Universität Berlin
Fachbereich Mathematik und Informatik
Institut für Informatik
Forschungsgruppe Human-Centered Computing
Frau Prof. Dr. Claudia Müller-Birn
14195 Berlin (Dahlem)
- Disabled persons will be given preference in the case of equal qualifications.
- Freie Universität Berlin expressly encourages women to apply.
- Applications from people with a migration background are expressly welcome.
- Unfortunately, Freie Universität Berlin cannot cover the costs of interviews.
- Application documents will not be returned. Please submit copies of your documents only.