Student Assistant - Focus: Implementation (f/d/m)
We are looking for a student assistant (41h/month) for our FreeMove project. The position is limited until December 31, 2023.Identifier: HCC2022-SHK-22
Application deadline: August 23, 2022
Official job announcement (in German)
The Human-Centered Computing Research Group (HCC) is an interdisciplinary team in the field of Collaborative Computing and Human Computer Interaction. The focus is to advance research and design of socially responsible technologies by analyzing the intertwining of data, algorithms and social context to enable sustainable human-machine collaboration. The current focus is on machine learning technologies related to issues of privacy, reflection, and explanation through interactive and conversational user interfaces. We understand these technologies as socio-technical systems that are situated in specific contexts of use. This is also the basis for our methodological approach to system design, which is based on critical practice.
Field of Activity
Are you a student in computer science or a related field and interested in how recent methods for privacy protection can be communicated in a fair and transparent way?
As a student member in the research group Human-Centered Computing you have the opportunity to do just that by supporting us in our research in the area of communication about privacy. Current research in this area aspires, among other things, to explain the benefits and compromises of novel anonymization methods, with the goal of enabling informed consent with regards to data donations. For this purpose we are evaluating novel interaction concepts with users from different background. You will be supporting us with this evaluation, primarily in the research project FreeMove, closely working together with our team at the research group HCC.
- Assist with research tasks (literature review, research of state-of-the-art approaches)
- Support in implementation of interfaces in the form of interactive software prototypes
- Support in the design, implementation and execution of (online) user studies
- Support in the processing and statistical analysis of collected data from user studies
- We are committed to open source software, open science, and free access to knowledge
- We offer an open, interdisciplinary, and dynamic working environment where all people with different backgrounds and experiences are welcome
- Regular team exchange and promotion of your individual qualities and skills
Your Skills (preferred):
- Registered student in the field of computer science, media informatics, data science, mathematics or similar with at least two completed semesters
- Good German and English language skills (level B2)
- Independent and reliable way of working and a pronounced willingness to learn
Please send your detailed application including cover letter, curriculum vitae, references, and (if available) link to your Github profile with current work samples electronically via e-mail and in PDF format (preferably as ONE document) quoting the identifier HCC2022-SHK-22 to Prof. Dr. Claudia Müller-Birn: firstname.lastname@example.org
The processing of a postal application cannot be guaranteed.
Freie Universität Berlin
Fachbereich Mathematik und Informatik
Institut für Informatik
Arbeitsgruppe Human-Centered Computing
Frau Prof. Dr. Claudia Müller-Birn
14195 Berlin (Dahlem)
By submitting an electronic application you are agreeing to all files being edited and stored. We give explicit notice that by not using encryption for sending in your application electronically, the Freie Universität Berlin cannot guarantee or be accountable for the security of any private information.
- Disabled persons will be given preference in the case of equal qualifications.
- Freie Universität Berlin expressly encourages women to apply.
- Applications from people with a migration background are expressly welcome.
- Unfortunately, Freie Universität Berlin cannot cover the costs of interviews.
- Application documents will not be returned. Please submit copies of your documents only.