Research Associate (f/d/m) 100% (pre-doc) - Reflective Data Donation
Application deadline: extended until February 07, 2021
Official job announcement (in German)
The Human-Centered Computing Research Group (HCC) represents an interdisciplinary team in the field of collaborative computing and human-machine interaction. The focus is to advance research and design of socially responsible technologies by analyzing the intertwining of data, algorithms and social context to enable sustainable human-machine collaboration. The current focus is on machine learning technologies related to issues of privacy, reflection and explanation through interactive and conversational user interfaces. We understand these technologies as socio-technical systems that are situated in specific contexts of use. This is also the basis for our methodological approach to system design, which is based on critical practice.
Field of Activity
Are you already working in research or would you like to open up new scientific perspectives and explore the question of how novel user concepts at the interface of human-computer interaction can be researched, designed and implemented?
As a research assistant at the HCC Research Group, you will have the opportunity to do just that and much more. You will work closely in an interdisciplinary research team consisting of experts in security, ML, media education and medicine and proactively contribute your knowledge, skills and creativity in a dynamic research environment.
In the research project WerteRadar "Donating Health Data with Sovereignty" (werteradar.org) you create challenging, socially responsible, but also practical tasks with a focus on sovereign data donation and Human-Centered Security and Privacy in an interdisciplinary team. The focus of HCC research within WerteRadar is on the design and development of interaction concepts considering user-oriented explanations. You will work closely with another research assistant in the context of this task and be accompanied by a dedicated HCC team working on related research topics.
- Technical conception and implementation of user interface prototypes (Privacy-Preserving Explanation User Interfaces)
- Implementation and evaluation of empirical (online) studies and testing of prototypes
Implementation of a user-centered approach for software development
- Completed academic university studies in computer science (diploma/ master or comparable degree) or in a related field (such as media or business informatics), ideally with a focus on human-computer interaction and/or human factors
- Experience in the implementation and collaboration of (research) projects
- Very good knowledge of methods for researching and evaluating human-machine interaction (e.g. qualitative methods of human-computer interaction such as interviews, participative workshops, usability testing or empirical (online) studies)
- Knowledge and experience in prototyping and agile software development
- Interest in and initial experience in writing scientific publications
- Proactive and communicative work style
- Interest in working in a dynamic, knowledge-driven and creative environment
- You are fluent in English and German
- We offer a creative and open environment for the realization of research interests
- Educate yourself scientifically through conference participation and research seminars to expand your skills and knowledge
- We offer an open, interdisciplinary and dynamic working environment where all people with different backgrounds and experiences are welcome
- We are committed to open source software, open science, and free access to knowledge
- We offer the possibility to realize your dissertation project within the scope of this position
Please send your detailed application including cover letter, curriculum vitae and references electronically via e-mail and in PDF format (preferably as ONE document) to Prof. Dr. Claudia Müller-Birn: email@example.com
As remote work is currently encouraged at Freie Universität Berlin, we ask that you apply electronically by e-mail. The processing of a postal application cannot be guaranteed.
By submitting an electronic application you are agreeing to all files being edited and stored. We give explicit notice that by not using encryption for sending in your application electronically, the Freie Universität Berlin cannot guarantee or be accountable for the security of any private information.
Freie Universität Berlin
Fachbereich Mathematik und Informatik
Institut für Informatik
Forschungsgruppe Human-Centered Computing
Frau Prof. Dr. Claudia Müller-Birn
14195 Berlin (Dahlem)
- Disabled persons will be given preference in the case of equal qualifications.
- Freie Universität Berlin expressly encourages women to apply.
- Applications from people with a migration background are expressly welcome.
- Unfortunately, Freie Universität Berlin cannot cover the costs of interviews.
- Application documents will not be returned. Please submit copies of your documents only.