Research Associate (f/d/m) full-time (pre-doc) - in the project ENKIS
We are looking for a new team member for our research project ENKIS. The contract is limited until November 30, 2025 (subject to funding approval).Remuneration group: 13 TV-L FU
Application deadline: October 4, 2021
The Human-Centered Computing Research Group stands for an interdisciplinary team in the field of collaborative computing and human-computer interaction (HCI)
Our focus lies on advancing research and the design of socially responsible technologies. We analyze the interconnectedness of data, algorithms and social context in order to enable sustainable human-machine collaboration. The current application focus is on machine learning technologies related to privacy, reflection and explanation, with a focus on interactive and conversational user interfaces. We understand these technologies as socio-technical systems that are located in specific contexts of use. This is also the basis for our methodological approach to system design, which is based on critical practice.
Field of Acitivity
Do you want to work towards strengthening reflective and socially responsible perspectives in computer science with a focus on Artificial Intelligence? As a Research Associate at the HCC research group, you have the opportunity to do just that.
You will conduct research on methods, approaches, and techniques in the field of Responsible AI and contribute to the establishment of sustainable AI-related study programs at Freie Universität Berlin. The focus lies on the design of AI technologies, in particular on how we can prevent discrimination against individuals or inhibit invasion of privacy by basing the design and development of user interfaces and AI-based systems on the values associated with Responsible AI. Furthermore, the challenge at hand is to provide users of AI technologies with explanations regarding the data or models used in such a way that ensures fairness and transparency.
If you have a strong interest in this area of research and are motivated to actively participate in current scientific discourses as well as to translate them into sustainable study programs and teaching, we look forward to receiving your application.
- We support you in realizing your dissertation project within the scope of the position
- We offer a creative and open environment for the realization of your research interests
- We support you in obtaining teaching qualifications (e.g., through participation in the offerings of the Dahlem Center for Academic Teaching)
- We promote your academic training, e.g. through conference participation and research seminars, thus helping you to strengthen your analytical skills and knowledge as well as your network.
- We are committed to open source software, open science and free access to knowledge
- We offer an open, interdisciplinary and dynamic working environment where all people with different backgrounds and experiences are welcome
Completed University degree in computer science (Diploma / Master or comparable degree) or in a related field (such as media or business informatics)
- Very good knowledge in the field of Human-Computer Interaction or Human Factors
- Good knowledge in the area of Responsible/Ethical AI
- Experience in teaching and working with students from different disciplines
- Knowledge in the field of human-centered design of interactions
- Interest and initial experience in creating instructional materials, scholarly publications, and open educational resources
- Proactive and communicative working style
- Interest in working in a dynamic, knowledge-driven and creative environment
- Fluent in English and German (verbally and written)
Official job announcement (in German)
Applications should be sent electronically by e-mail to Prof. Dr. Claudia Müller-Birn (including cover letter, curriculum vitae, and references) in PDF format (preferably as one document): firstname.lastname@example.org.
In view of the current situation and for the period of limited attendance at Freie Universität Berlin, we kindly ask you to apply electronically by e-mail. The processing of a postal application cannot be guaranteed.
Freie Universität Berlin
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
Institute for Computer Science
Human-Centered Computing Research Group
Prof. Dr. Claudia Müller-Birn
By submitting an online application, you as an applicant give your consent to your data being electronically processed and stored.
We would like to point out that Freie Universität Berlin cannot guarantee the security of transmitted personal data if your application is sent electronically without protection.
- Disabled persons will be given preference in the case of equal qualifications.
- Freie Universität Berlin expressly encourages women to apply.
- Applications from people with a migration background are expressly welcome.
- Unfortunately, Freie Universität Berlin cannot cover the costs of interviews.
- Application documents will not be returned. Please submit copies of your documents only.