Dr.-Ing. Mario Cypko
Institute of Computer Science
Matters of Activity
Dr. Mario A. Cypko is a postdoctoral researcher in medical informatics with a background in
- machine intelligence-based clinical decision support systems,
- shared decision making in multidisciplinary teams, and
- expert modeling of and interaction with computer-based knowledge models and decision supports systems.
His Ph.D. thesis on multidisciplinary therapy decisions in an oncological context has been published by Springer at https://www.springer.com/de/book/9783658325930.
Mario is particularly interested in creating a "symbiosis" between humans and machines in a digital operating room. He aims to explore possible capabilities (e.g., assistance, transparency, and feedback) of this "symbiosis" in robotic-assisted surgery's joint activity. For this, he integrates insights from human-computer interaction, robotic-assisted surgery, and clinical decision-making but also considers the ethical and cultural dimensions of his research.
Mario's research is funded by the Matters of Activity - Image Space Material at the Humboldt-Universität zu Berlin, which rediscovers the analog in the activity of images, spaces, and materials in the digital age.
Active engagements and memberships:
- Organizing and Program committee member at the International Conference for Computer-Assisted Radiology and Surgery (CARS),
- Young Research Force Member of the International Society for Computer-Aided Surgery (ISCAS),
- Steering committee member for DLR's Space2Health: Space travel and Health,
- Organizer of the Young Investigator Networking Session, which gives academically young researchers more visibility at conferences,
- Scientific consultant for the European Space Agency for Human Research.
Academic training and degrees:
- 2020-2021 Postdoctoral Researcher at German Heart Center Berlin (DHZB),
- 2017-2019 Postdoctoral Researcher at the European Space Agency in Noordwijk, Netherlands,
- 2017 Ph.D. in Computer-assisted Medicine, Computer Science Department of the University of Leipzig,
- 2013-2017 Research Associate at the Innovation Center for Computer-Assisted Surgery (ICCAS), Leipzig,
- Diploma in Computer Science, Freie Universität Berlin.