There are several options how to find an appropriate (and interesting) topic for your thesis:
- You choose an advertised topic of a project group and contact the indicated docent. The advertised topics are only rough suggestions that can be adjusted to your personal interests or preknowledge.
- You approach a member of a thematically compatible project group with your own idea. These own ideas are often developed from work experience (e.g. in an enterprise).
- Furthermore, you can find inspiration and meet docents in classes (e.g. software project: project management).
Your own ideas are in any case very welcome! It might take some weeks to develop a topic with together your supervisor. During this time you deal intensively with the topic and should clarify the following questions:
- Can I do that? (or is the question to difficult or too wide for the limited span of time)
- Do I want to do that? (a task that does not interest you is going to be a torture for all involved parties and mostly ends unsatisfactorily)
- Is the chemistry between you and your supervisor right?
The first reading up on your subject also takes place during this phase. Your supervisor might support you with your research.