Research Associate (f/d/m) 100% (pre-doc)
We are looking for a new team member at the HCC research group. The contract is limited until February 28, 2027.Identifier: HCC-TA01
Application deadline: June 19, 2023 (extended)
The Human-Centered Computing Research Group (HCC) is an interdisciplinary team in collaborative computing and human-computer interaction (HCI).
Our focus lies on advancing research and the design of socially responsible technologies. We analyze the interconnectedness of data, algorithms, and social context in order to enable sustainable human-machine collaboration. The current application focuses on machine learning technologies related to privacy, reflection, and explanation, focusing on interactive and conversational user interfaces. We understand these technologies as socio-technical systems located in specific contexts of use. These considerations are also the basis for our methodological approach to system design based on critical practice.
Field of Activity
Would you like to work toward strengthening reflective and socially responsible perspectives in the study program of computer science at Freie Universität Berlin?
You can do just that as a research associate at the HCC research group. In this position, you will design and supervise exercises for the courses "Human-Computer Interaction" and "Data Visualization" and other seminars or software projects. These courses draw on methods, approaches, and techniques of human-centered design, for example, to consider the values and needs of users in individual contexts for socially responsible technology development. The overarching goal is to provide students with the knowledge and craft that we at our research group define as the goal of responsible computer science. Your responsibilities to achieve this goal will include conducting tutorials for the courses and supervising student thesis and administrative tasks to realize the continuous development of our teaching program towards responsible computer science.
Suppose you have a strong interest in this position as a research associate and are motivated to actively participate in current scientific discourses and translate them into sustainable study programs. In that case, we look forward to receiving your application.
- We support you in realizing your dissertation project within the scope of the position
- We offer a creative and open environment for the realization of your research interests
- We support you in obtaining teaching qualifications (e.g., through participation in the offerings of the Dahlem Center for Academic Teaching)
- We promote your academic training, for example, through conference participation and research seminars, thus helping you to strengthen your analytical skills and knowledge and your network.
- We are committed to open source software, open science, and free access to knowledge
- We offer an open, interdisciplinary and dynamic working environment where all people with different backgrounds and experiences are welcome
- We offer a regular team exchange and promotion of your individual qualities and skills.
Completed University degree in computer science (Diploma / Master or comparable degree) or in a related field.
- Knowledge of or interest in one or more of the following areas: Human-Computer Interaction, Data Visualization, and Open Source Development Models.
- Fundamentals in UI/UX design
- Experience working in internationally collaborative workgroups
- Experience with hybrid and online teaching formats
- Independent conceptualization of courses and event series
- Affinity for reflecting on the social impact of technological development and digitalization
- Ability to work in a team
- Creativity, analytical skills, problem-solving competence, and results-oriented working style
- Fluent in English and German (verbally and written)
Official job announcement (in German)
Applications should be sent electronically by e-mail to Prof. Dr. Claudia Müller-Birn (including cover letter, curriculum vitae, and references) in PDF format (preferably as one document): email@example.com.
We kindly ask you to apply electronically by e-mail. The processing of a postal application cannot be guaranteed.
Freie Universität Berlin
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
Institute for Computer Science
Human-Centered Computing Research Group
Prof. Dr. Claudia Müller-Birn
By submitting an online application, you as an applicant give your consent to your data being electronically processed and stored.
We would like to point out that Freie Universität Berlin cannot guarantee the security of transmitted personal data if your application is sent electronically without protection.
- Disabled persons will be given preference in the case of equal qualifications.
- Freie Universität Berlin expressly encourages women to apply.
- Applications from people with a migration background are expressly welcome.
- Unfortunately, Freie Universität Berlin cannot cover the costs of interviews.
- Application documents will not be returned. Please submit copies of your documents only.