Research Associate (f/d/m) 100% (pre-doc) - in the project ENKIS
We are looking for a new team member for our research project ENKIS. The contract is limited until 30 September 2025.Identifier: ENKIS-WM100-2
Application deadline: October 10, 2022
The Human-Centered Computing Research Group (HCC) stands for an interdisciplinary team in the field of collaborative computing and human-computer interaction (HCI).
Our focus lies on advancing research and the design of socially responsible technologies. We analyze the interconnectedness of data, algorithms and social context in order to enable sustainable human-machine collaboration. The current application focus is on machine learning technologies related to privacy, reflection and explanation, with a focus on interactive and conversational user interfaces. We understand these technologies as socio-technical systems that are located in specific contexts of use. This is also the basis for our methodological approach to system design, which is based on critical practice.
Field of Acitivity
Do you want to work toward strengthening reflective and socially responsible perspectives in computer science with a focus on Artificial Intelligence (AI)? As a Research Associate at the HCC research group, you have the opportunity to do just that.
You will conduct research on methods, approaches, and techniques in the area of Responsible AI, Explainable Artificial Intelligence (XAI), and contribute to the establishment of sustainable AI-related study programs at Freie Universität Berlin. The focus is on the human-centered design of these technologies. Front and center is the question of how we can design AI-based systems in a way that prevents discrimination against individuals or invasion of privacy already during the development of AI technologies. Furthermore, the challenge is to offer explanations to the users of AI technologies in relation to the data and models used, so that decisions and predictions can be understood. You will address the question of how these systems can be constructed based on human needs and adapted to the individual context so that they are interpretable.
If you have a strong interest in this topic area and are motivated to actively participate in current scientific discourses as well as to translate them into sustainable study opportunities, we look forward to receiving your application.
- We support you in realizing your dissertation project within the scope of the position
- We offer a creative and open environment for the realization of your research interests
- We support you in obtaining teaching qualifications (e.g., through participation in the offerings of the Dahlem Center for Academic Teaching)
- We promote your academic training, e.g. through conference participation and research seminars, thus helping you to strengthen your analytical skills and knowledge as well as your network.
- We are committed to open source software, open science, and free access to knowledge
- We offer an open, interdisciplinary and dynamic working environment where all people with different backgrounds and experiences are welcome
- We offer a regular team exchange and promotion of your individual qualities and skills.
Completed University degree in computer science (Diploma / Master or comparable degree) or in a related field (such as media or business informatics)
- Very good knowledge in the field of Data Science
- Good knowledge in the field of Human-Computer Interaction or Human Factors
- Basic knowledge in the area of Responsible/Ethical AI
- Experience in teaching and working with students from different disciplines
- Interest and initial experience in creating instructional materials, scholarly publications, and open educational resources
- Proactive and communicative working style
- Interest in working in a dynamic, knowledge-driven, and creative environment
- Fluent in English and German (verbally and written)
Official job announcement (in German) can be found here.
Applications should be sent electronically by e-mail to Prof. Dr. Claudia Müller-Birn (including cover letter, curriculum vitae, and references) in PDF format (preferably as one document): firstname.lastname@example.org.
We kindly ask you to apply electronically by e-mail. The processing of a postal application cannot be guaranteed.
Freie Universität Berlin
Department of Mathematics and Computer Science
Institute for Computer Science
Human-Centered Computing Research Group
Prof. Dr. Claudia Müller-Birn
By submitting an online application, you as an applicant give your consent to your data being electronically processed and stored.
We would like to point out that Freie Universität Berlin cannot guarantee the security of transmitted personal data if your application is sent electronically without protection.
- Disabled persons will be given preference in the case of equal qualifications.
- Freie Universität Berlin expressly encourages women to apply.
- Applications from people with a migration background are expressly welcome.
- Unfortunately, Freie Universität Berlin cannot cover the costs of interviews.
- Application documents will not be returned. Please submit copies of your documents only..