Computer Science (Bachelors/Masters) and Minors.
Thank you for your interest in the Digital Video seminar. There will be a second introduction session on Friday, Nov.-14, (10-12h) in room K040. Registration and chosing of topic will be open until end of November.
Please find deadlines marked in red underneath and details for crediting/grading at the end of this page.
If you have further questions, don't hesitate to contact me: email@example.com.
Best of luck for the start of semester!
DEADLINES Winter 2014/15:
Oct. 10 (10-12h): Introduction session and presentation of topics in room K 040
Nov. 14 (10-12h): Second introduction session and presentation of topics in room K 040
Nov. 30: Deadline for registration and chosing of topics
- BMP and JPEG: from analog pictures/films to digital pictures/moving pictures
- MPEG-1 and V-CD: from JPEG-compression to digital video
- Overview and functionality of (current) compression methods: f.e. Huffman, DCT, Fraktal, Wavelet…
- Overview and functionality of (current) compression methods: (COmpressor-DECompressor, CODec-DECodec): CinePak, MS Video1, Hufyuv, M-JPEG, MPEG4-1/2/3, DivX, MS V8, MS VC1,H.264 ...
- Overview and functionality of (current) container formats: avi, mov (Quicktime), rm (RealVideo), wmv (WinMedia Video), mpg, mp4, divX, Xvid, Ogg, Matroska...
- MPEG-2 and DVD
- MP3 or MPEG Audio Layer
- MPEG-4 and Blue-Ray-Disc, and video/audio-spezifications
- MPEG-4 MVC and 3D
- The VLC Media Framework
- Multimedia Architectures: Quicktime, Windows, MPlayer
- Up- and Downloading, Filesharing/BitTorrent-Technik
- Video Streaming Technology, Live-Streaming
- G-Streamer (Win, MacOS X, Androids)
- Adobe Flash, Flash Video
- HTML-5 Video
- Web and TV
- DVB, HbbTV, Smart TV
- WebTV and Linked Data
- Other online-video-platforms
- Platforms/WebTV of institutional content provider/broadcaster (myvideo, RTLnow, ZDF Mediathek)
- Illegal video- and streaming platforms
- Use/development of up-/downloading and streaming (comparative analysis)
- NUse/development of online video (paid content, ad-based TV/Movie, illegal use)
- Digital Cinema
- Digital Television
- Freeware / Open Source - comparative analysis of video software
- Windows Movie Maker in comparison to other tools
- iMovie in comparison to other tools
- Adobe Premiere
- After Effects, Final Cut, Pinnacle, Magix …
3 ECTS: Certificates and grading criteria
- Regular and active participation
- Presentation (45 mins.) and exercise or discussion in cooperation with lecturer. Feedback and submission of the presentation prior to the seminar.
- Written/digital assignment related to presentation (approx. 5 - 15 pages, 10 on average). Submission of the written assignment prior to the end of semester.
- Please see PDF of Professor Tolksdorf, details for presentations and scientific assignments.
As far as all criteria is completed, students will receive a certificate including 3 credit points (ECTS). Students may use these credits for their Bachelor Degree in Computer Science, and for their Master Degree in Computer Science as Applied Computer Science ("1"), as ABV for their Diploma in Applied Computer Science, and for their Educational Degree "E-Learning" and "E-Learning/Digital Video". The course may also be part of the individual or major coursework for Bachelor Degrees. Participants of other disciplines are requested to ask their departments for accountability.