Are you interested in studying Data Science at Freie Universität Berlin?
Since 2019, students from all over the world can apply to our Master program in Data Science.
- Please check here for information about the application deadline.
- However, before you apply, please check whether you fulfill our entrance requirements (defined in the Admission Regulations, see below).
- During the application process a score is assigned to your application (more information here) and it is ranked among all applicants. Unfortunately, we can only offer the 20 top ranked applicants a place in the program.
- Students, who have obtained their BSc degree outside Germany need to apply through uni-assist (here).
- Students, who have obtained their BSc degree in Germany need to apply directly at the university (here).
- Please enclose the completed self-disclosure form (word document) with your application.
Please highlight in your transcript the courses in fulfillment of the mathematics and computer science requirements, and course description or syllabus.
Admission to the Winter Semester 2023/24
- The next deadline for applications is the 31st of May 2023.
More information can be found here.
- Offer letters for admission to the winter semester 2023/24 will be sent out by mid-August.
UNOFFICIAL Summary of the Admission Regulations in English
You need to have an university degree (bachelor or equivalent), either from Germany or an equivalent foreign degree, in a higher education program comprising at least six semesters that qualifies to practice a profession.
If you have not yet completed your BSc at the time of application: you must have earned at least 2/3 of the total credits (i.e. 120 ECTS) and submit a graded transcript of records with preliminary BSc grade.
You are required to prove English language skills at level C1 of the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (CEFR). Accepted certifications are: Link.
Most likely, the language requirement will be tightened and level C1 CEFR (IELTS 7) must be proven by all applicants. Change of the official regulations is currently pending.
Command of the German language is not required, but certainly is a plus.
You need at least 20 credits in mathematical modules. Out of these, at least 5 credits need to be in the area of linear algebra or analysis and at least 5 credits in the area of probability theory or statistics.
Computer Science & Programming Skills
You need at least 10 credits in computer science modules. Out of these, at least 5 credits need to be in the area of algorithms (sorting, searching, data structures, complexity) and at least 5 credits in a module in which you acquired knowledge in a higher programming language, such as C/C++, Java or Python.
You can obtain both, mathematics and computing skills, in addition to your BSc studies.