During their internship at a research institution affiliated with university or outside
academia, students gain experience in practical research in the field of bioinformatics or
related areas. In particular, participants should develop skills in project coordination and
handling as well as refine their teamwork competences.
Current research topics from the area of bioinformatics.
300 hours, at least 270 hours of which is spent on-site engaging in the internship.
At least 7 weeks
Supervision talks, Internship report, 5–10 pages, and ungraded final
presentation (approx. 30 minutes), which is typically given in the instructor’s group seminar.
The form of the internship report is not specified, but is determined in consultation with the supervisor/instructor. It is recommended to divide the report into introduction/question, material/methods, results and discussion.
If you are studying according to the old study regulations (2012), please make sure to use the correct forms, see Research Internship (2012).
- Find an internship position and supervisor, e.g. at the working groups involved in the study program. Also have a look at this table with internship offers.
- Find a instructor  and fill out the registration form (or have it filled out). Take or send it to the examination office.
- Register the internship in Campus Management (as soon as possible).
- Complete the internship and have it confirmed using the “Certification of a Research Internship” form .
- Write the report and present it to your instructor.
- Give the final presentation.
- Have the “Certification of a Research Internship” signed by your instructor.
- Take or send the certification to the examination office.
Internship positions: Initiative is desired. Possibilities include both research institutions and
institutes associated with a university and those outside academia (possibly even in other
Instructors within the master’s degree program in bioinformatics who are authorized to give exams. (Instructor and supervisor may be the same person)
It is advisable to have the institution where the internship was completed issue a certificate of the internship (in addition to the form). This should contain your name, date of birth, duration (number of hours) and type of activity on official letterhead of the company, plus stamp and signature.
Can I also complete the internship online?
According to the examination committee, online-only internships are not considered appropriate. They may only be approved in exceptional cases. You would have to submit a written request in which you explain how you will be involved in the activities of the research group during an online internship. Please send your application for consideration to Prof Siebert, chair of the examination committee (firstname.lastname@example.org).